The Network of Religious Communities was legally established on January 1, 1999 as a consolidation and expansion of the former Buffalo Area Council of Churches, founded in 1857, and the Buffalo Area Metropolitan Ministries, founded in 1975.
Our Mission Statement
Motivated by the sacred texts and traditions of our unique faith communities, the Network of Religious Communities, Inc., in recognizing a multiplicity of religious beliefs, respects the right to be and to celebrate who we are within out particular religious traditions. Because our humanity is deeper than our divisions, we:
- promote dialogue,
- facilitate the sharing of spiritual activities and resources, and
- work for justice and peace.
The Network is not a religious community unto itself, rather a forum providing opportunities for cooperative ventures, strengthening our religious communities, and the betterment of the community as a whole.
- Facilitate communication and increased understanding among the members, as well as between the members of the wider community.
- Foster cooperation within and between the faith communities to which the members belong.
- Facilitate collaboration in areas of common concern and in response to the needs of the residents of our region.
- Promote justice, peace, and the common good — as expressed in the faith traditions of our members — in Western New York and the Niagara Peninsula of Ontario.